When it comes to pet ownership, not all furniture is created equal. A dog-friendly couch can withstand hair, claws, and stains while adding style and comfort to your living space.
In addition to bringing undeniable joy into many homes, dogs also bring hair, scratches, and drool into the mix. Cleaning can sometimes feel like it never ends with dogs. Many dog parents consider a dog when buying a new couch even if they routinely vacuum and lint roll.
Having a sofa that is easy to clean and durable is a must for pet owners. However, there are so many stylish but impractical designs on the market that finding quality products can be challenging. To give you both a place to relax, we’ve found the best couches for dog owners.
Also Read: Top 8+ best couches for dogs that shedAre Leather Couches Good for Dogs?Are Leather Couches Good for Dogs?
1. Modway Loft Tufted – BEST LEATHER
2. POLY & BARK Neutral Fabric – BEST FABRIC
3. Christopher Knight Home – BEST CHESTERFIELD
4. Rivet Revolve Modern – BEST VALUE
How to Choose the Best Dog Couch
The owners and dogs of each dog are different. Some dogs chew furniture, others drool profusely, and some just want a comfortable place to sleep. Some owners value comfort over style, while others have a true eye for design. Here are some shopping considerations to keep in mind as you browse.
Size and type
Consider the space in the home as well as the number of people the couch will be able to accommodate (both human and animal) before choosing a model. It is common for traditional couches to seat three to four people and measure 72 to 96 inches in length. Loveseats, sectionals, and recliner sofas, however, are also available.
Smaller rooms are perfect for love seats with ample seating for two people.
A sectional can accommodate large groups in a variety of room configurations, whether it’s L-shaped or U-shaped.
Reclining sofas take up less space when not in use and are convenient for putting your feet up after a long day.
A sleeper sofa is an excellent choice if you want to be prepared for guests:
The mattress and frame of a pull-out bed unfold from under the sofa’s seat, while the backrest remains upright.
It is possible to flatten a futon into a bed by releasing its backrest downward.
A convertible sofa bed features an additional structure that pulls out from under the sofa to create a wider sleeping area.
In addition to these options, there are many other types of couches available, so this list is by no means exhaustive.
It is important to choose a material that is durable and easy to clean for a couch in order to ensure longevity and durability. Avoid slippery fabrics like silk or velvet, as well as loose weave fabrics such as tweed, wool, or chenille, as they tend to trap pet hair and easily snag from interaction with animal claws or teeth.
Fabrics designed for outdoor furniture, such as mesh or acrylic fabrics, are also good choices. Microfiber, canvas, and denim are all resistant to damage and easier to clean.
The most popular choice among dog owners, however, may well be leather. It is more expensive, but it is also remarkably tough. Leather couches repel odors and are easy to clean with a damp cloth. Synthetic leather is more likely to wear and tear than real leather, and smooth leather is more vulnerable to scratching from sharp claws.
A couch’s frame and legs are also important, especially if they are coated with a waterproof sealant such as polyurethane or varnish for sturdiness and chew-resistant characteristics.
Stylish and elegant don’t have to trump practicality. A couch can be dog-friendly and still enhance a room’s interior design.
It’s hard to go wrong with a chesterfield sofa, which has a quilted or tufted design, while a modern sofa with a tight or curved back works well with minimalist décor. If you’re seeking a more convivial atmosphere, a rolled-arm sofa or sectional sofa may be your best bet.
Despite a dog’s best efforts, accidents happen. To conceal stains and scratches, choose dark colors or patterns that conceal them. Avoid fabrics with textures that dogs’ claws can easily snag.
Cushions and padding
When choosing a couch, consider the coziness factor. A couch with extra padding or cushioning is recommended if the sitter prefers firmer support or a cloud-like softness.
Also, watch out for cushions that are too soft, and dogs might use their claws to stabilize themselves. For more support, look for sinuous wire suspension.
The padding in a couch may absorb fluids and retain odors over time. If your dog drools or is incontinent, consider couches with less padding or waterproof upholstery. You should also consider cushions that can be removed.
Resistant to water, stains, and scratches
A well-behaved dog may scratch the upholstery while climbing it or drool on it while sleeping, but odors, stains, and scratches pose the greatest challenges to the durability of a sofa.
Many pet owners who keep an eye on their furry friends with a pet camera discover their dogs make themselves comfortable on the couch when they are away, even if dogs aren’t allowed on the couch.
For non-water-resistant fabrics, consider purchasing waterproof couch covers separately. Stain-repellent sprays may provide additional protection. Leather or acrylic-blend upholstery makes for a low-maintenance couch.
Covers that are washable
As long as the fabric allows, you can wash the covers in the washing machine when it’s time to clean them. Having a dog is certainly a downside, however, a couch with removable covers will save you time and trouble.
If a couch does not have removable covers and removable cushions, a slipcover can wrap over the entire couch. It can be removed when guests visit or when it needs to be cleaned, then put back on again. When choosing a slipcover for a sofa, consider its cost as part of your sofa budget.
Also Read: Top 7+ best sectionals for dogs
Best couches for dog owners
1. Modway Loft Tufted Button Faux
For many dog owners, a couch is not just a couch. It’s a place to protect your pup from the dangers of the outside world and create a safe haven for him in your home.
With Modway Loft Tufted Button Faux Leather Upholstered Sofa is a striking addition to any living room. Its contemporary design and polished metal frame bring mid-century style to your house, apartment, or small living space.
The soft and plush cushions provide stylish comfort as you sink into them while watching TV, entertaining guests, or just relaxing. Subtle detail sets the stage for a stylish seat with minimalistic trim piping outlining the edges of the contemporary sofa.
Trimmed with classic button-tufted cushions, this luxurious sofa features a square tiled pattern that brings sophistication to formal or casual lounge areas. Finally, it’s upholstered in vegan leather for a cruelty-free experience.
- Create a comfortable spot for your dog to relax and play.
- Crafted using premium materials for long-lasting durability.
- Add a modern look to your living room with this chic faux leather sofa.
- Easy to clean and maintain – simply wipe down with a damp cloth.
- Unattached couch pieces may move.
2. POLY & BARK Neutral Fabric Sofa
Discover your new favorite living space with this POLY & BARK Neutral Fabric Sofa. This corner-blocked sofa is made from kiln-dried solid wood and features high resiliency foam seat cushions with a layer of fiber and a down-proof cambric shell.
The loose, non-reversible bench-style seat cushion has a removable cover. The loose back cushions are filled with feather and fiber-filled with removable covers for comfortable seating.
There’s also a rubber-webbing suspension base support to keep you stable, while the polyester fabric upholstery is durable and stain & spill resistant.
Two 100% down-filled throw pillows are included for extra comfort on long days or nights out. Bright Ash is a performance fabric that’s resistant to both water and oil based stains, so your sofa will look great for years to come.
Waterproof slipcovers are worthwhile purchases for dogs prone to accidents. The wooden frame ensures durability, and the support legs are partly hidden to prevent chewing.
- Made from kiln-drying solid wood.
- High resiliency foam seat cushion with a layer of fiber.
- Removable seat cushion covers for easy cleaning.
- Rubber-webbed suspension base support for stability.
- Polyester fabric upholstery resists spills and stains.
- Down-filled pillow covers for added comfort.
- Slipcovers available for protection against accidents.
- Covers for cushions cannot be machine washed
3. Mellow Adair Mid-Century Modern Lovesea
Mellow is the ultimate couch for dog owners. It’s stylish, comfortable, and durable. The Mellow Adair Mid-Century Modern Loveseat is the perfect piece of furniture for any space. With its stylish frame and light grey fabric, this loveseat will look great in any room.
The storage pockets located on the armrests make it easy to keep your remote control, magazines, and more nearby. Made of real eucalyptus wood, this loveseat is sturdy and built to last. We also offer a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty on this product.
- Stylish, mid-century modern style
- Comfortable seating for up to 2 people
- Storage pockets for remotes, magazines, etc.
- Sturdy construction
- Easy assembly
- If the seat cushion gets dirty, you can’t unzip the fabric and wash it.
4. Rivet Revolve Modern Upholstered Sofa
Rivet couches come in various types of materials and designs, so every type of pet owner will find something for their needs.
Rivet Revolve Modern Upholstered Sofa is a versatile piece that can be used in a variety of settings, from a family room to an office. Its simple yet elegant lines and square armrests are perfect for any space, while the tall tapered legs give it a sleek and modern look.
The frame is made from hardwood with solid beech legs, making it sturdy and able to stand up to wear and tear. The chaise can also be moved to either end of the sofa for flexible seating options. The soft polyester upholstery is durable and comfortable, plus it’s easy to clean with a damp cloth.
- Made from hardwood and solid beech legs
- Easy to move around
- Comfortable and durable
- Clean easily with a damp cloth
- It’s pretty firm
5. Christopher Knight Home Karen Traditional Chesterfield
Animal lovers and people with allergies can rest easy. At Christopher Knight, we offer high-end couches for your canine companion.
The Christopher Knight Home Karen Traditional Chesterfield Loveseat Sofa is a piece of furniture that will add both design and comfort to your home. Made from 100% polyester, this loveseat has deep button tufting, nail head accents, scrolled arms, and turned legs for a classic Chesterfield look.
The individual Seat Cushions ensure each person seated on the loveseat gets the full amount of comfort possible while the velvet fabric offers a luxurious feel.
- Comfortable seating for up to four people.
- Soft, plush seat cushions provide maximum comfort.
- The faux leather cover provides a rich look and feel.
- Assembling 2+ people is HIGHLY recommended
6. ONCIN Chesterfield Sofa Leather for Living Room
ONCIN couches are designed to be durable and made with materials that can withstand the wear and tear of a dog’s claws.
Chesterfield Sofa Leather for Living Room, 3 Seater Sofa Tufted Couch is a luxurious and comfortable addition to any living room. With its traditional Chesterfield style and contemporary design, this sofa is perfect for anyone looking for a stylish yet functional piece of furniture.
The tufted deep button, nailhead accents, and scrolled arms give the couch a unique look that will make it stand out from other couches in your home.
The simple yet refined structure of the wood legs supports up to 600lbs easily making this an ideal choice for families with heavier children or adults.
- Made with leather for long lasting durability.
- Easy assembly is required.
- Perfect for heavy use by kids and adults alike.
- Add a splash of color to your decor.
- Available in different colors and designs.
- It may be necessary to clean leather infrequently.
A Guide to Choosing the Best Couch for Dog Owners
The criteria we used to curate our list of recommendations were as follows: it’s not simply a matter of selecting any sofa and letting a dog snuggle on it.
We picked dog-friendly couches that are supportive, but soft. Just like people, pets need a cozy place to sit that doesn’t put pressure or strain on their bodies. To determine the most comfortable mattress for pets, we analyzed cushion thickness, foam filling, and spring structure.
In making our selections, we emphasized sturdy frames, reliable joinery, comfortable foam, and durable materials and upholstery.
A reputable brand name is known for a reason. Our picks include furniture from top brands with a proven track record.
In addition, we considered weight capacity, favoring couches that could support at least one person and a large dog.
In addition to being dog-friendly, a couch must also be aesthetically pleasing in order to make our list.
Should you let dogs on the couch?
The answer depends on your lifestyle and how much time you spend sitting on the couch.
If you have an active lifestyle, then you’ll want to consider a couch that can accommodate multiple people and heavy loads. You may even want to invest in a pet bed if you plan on having more than one dog. However, if you’re just looking for a place to relax after work, then a smaller couch will do just fine.
It’s important to note that some couches are designed specifically for pets. These models come with special features such as built-in ramps, elevated platforms, and other accessories that help ease the transition between floor and chair. Some manufacturers offer these options as optional extras, while others provide them as standard features.
The benefits of a dog-friendly couch
There are many benefits to having a dog-friendly couch. Not only are they fun companions, but dogs can also help keep you healthy by removing harmful toxins from the air. Additionally, having a furry friend around can reduce stress and anxiety. Here are five reasons why you should consider getting a dog-friendly couch:
1. Dogs Improve Air Quality – One of the most important benefits of owning a dog is that they help to improve air quality. Dogs go through incredible amounts of exercise and play, which both helps to remove toxins from their respiratory system and boosts their immune system. In fact, studies have shown that living in an area with more dogs has a positive effect on asthma rates!
2. They Can Help You Lose Weight – Believe it or not, one of the best things about having a dog is that they can help you lose weight! Studies have shown that people who own dogs tend to be thinner than those who don’t, likely because dogs make us physically active and eat lots of junk food (which we know isn’t good for us). If you want to try this at home, start by walking your dog more often and feeding them healthy snacks instead of processed foods.
3. They Are Companionship – No matter what kind of person you are, having a companion is always beneficial. Dogs provide us with love, support, and laughter – something that is desperately needed in today’s world. If you’re single or lonely, a dog can be the perfect friend.
4. They Can Help You Relax – As we’ve already mentioned, one of the best things about having a dog is that they can help to reduce stress and anxiety. Studies have shown that dog owners are significantly less likely to suffer from depression or stress than people who don’t own a pet. In fact, owning a dog can even help to reduce symptoms of PTSD!
5. They Are Loyal Companions – One of the most important things about owning a dog is that they are loyal companions. Whether you’re out running an errand or just taking a break, you can be sure that your dog is always there by your side. Dogs often provide us with unconditional love and support, which is something that is much appreciated in today’s world.
Types of couches
There are different types of couches that are perfect for dog owners. Some couches have removable covers that can be easily cleaned, while others are made with antimicrobial materials to keep the pet clean. Additionally, some couches have built-in kennels that can be used to store the pet when not in use.
Where to find couches and how to care for them
If you have a dog, you know that they love to curl up with a good book or some quality time with their family. But what about your couch? Dogs can be big messes, and their fur can get everywhere! So where do you find the best couches for dog owners, and how do you keep them clean?
There are a few things to consider if you’re looking for the perfect place for your pet to rest his weary head. The material should be soft enough to cushion their body but tough enough to withstand regular wear and tear. And the size of the couch should be proportional to the size of your pet – not too large or small, but just right.
Once you’ve settled on the perfect couch for your furry friend, it’s important to keep it clean. Regular vacuuming will pick up any loose fur or dirt while dusting once a week will help remove any built-up debris. And don’t forget about water spots! If they accumulate on the surface of the couch, pour a pot of boiling water over it and let it sit for 10 minutes before wiping away the stain.
Alternatives to buying and caring for couches
There are plenty of great alternatives to buying and caring for couches, whether you’re a dog owner or not. Here are five great options:
1. Use an old piece of furniture as a place for your dog to sleep. A bed can be easy to make and cheap, and your dog will love it.
2. Build a simple playpen out of fencing or plastic sheeting. This is an easy project that can keep your dog safe while you’re busy, and it’s also portable if you need to take it with you when you move.
3. Find an old rug and cover it with fabric or carpet remnant pieces. This is a great option if you have limited space, and it’s also comfortable for your dog to lie on.
4. Rent a kennel from a pet store or online retailer like Chewy (www.chewy.com). This is an affordable way to give your dog the peace of mind he needs while you’re away, and there are many different sizes available to choose from.
5. Consider purchasing a small cot that can be used as a bed for your dog if needed, like the Cozy Cot from K&H PET. This is an easy way to keep your pet safe in case there’s no other place for him to sleep during daytime hours.
How should a dog owner choose a couch material?
For more affordable alternatives, consider canvas, denim, microfiber, and acrylic blends. Leather is popular due to its toughness, durability, and ease of cleaning.
Leather couches are ruined by dogs?
You can either opt for a cheaper alternative that you won’t mind being damaged or shop for distressed leather styles to better conceal scratches if your dog is a scratcher.
Does dog hair stick to microfiber?
In contrast to loosely-woven fabrics such as wool, chenille, and tweed, microfiber does not trap dog hair between threads. A lint roller should work.
What fabric does not attract dog hair?
If an animal’s hair falls on a leather couch, it is easy to dust it off since leather does not attract or snag it.